The profile of a Small Charities Challenge Fund grant holder
Thinking about applying for a Small Charities Challenge Fund (SCCF) grant? Here are some facts for you to consider.
About the Small Charities Challenge Fund
- SCCF was launched on 5 July 2017 and since that time *301 eligible applications have been submitted in total.
- In the first round, 16 applications successfully secured SCCF funding. Further grant will be announced in due course.
- The third round shortlist is being finalised and the fourth is open for applications until 17:00 on Thursday 28 March 2019.
SCCF first round grant holders
- The first round of SCCF had a success rate of 16%.
- 95% of applicants have not received UK Aid Direct funding before.
- Successful organisations are based across the UK, with 75% outside London and the South East.
- Projects cover a range of policy areas including disability inclusion, education and livelihoods, and operate in 9 countries.
- The average income of the current 16 SCCF grant holders to date is £66,000.
The Funding Process
- SCCF is an open funding round with applications reviewed every six months. The current round is open for applications until 17:00 on Thursday 28 March 2019
- Feedback is provided to all unsuccessful SCCF applicants. Many organisations who apply for SCCF unsuccessfully, re-apply for a grant in the next round
- After the closing date, applications are scored and reviewed, and due diligence is conducted on the shortlisted organisations
- SCCF due diligence is light-touch, involving self-assessment questionnaires and a telephone-based assessment. Site visits may also be carried out
- SCCF operates a payment-in-advance system for successful grant holders.
- All grant-holders are required to provide annual, certified financial statements. Full, external audited accounts are not required
*All data taken from 20 November 2018
We’re often asked by applicants what makes a good SCCF application. There’s no single answer to this, but we have produced a document which shares examples of high quality answers to several questions in the application form. These answers are intended as a guide only. They have been taken, with permission from an application submitted by new SCCF grant holder Carers Worldwide.